Tuesday 29 March 2022

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

I loved punk and I loved the Sex Pistols, I always wanted to dress in the punky styles but my mum wouldn’t let me…  Even now I love the ethos of punk; anti establishment, anti fashion, anyone can have a go – make noise and have fun!

So Johnny Rotten was/is a hero and I really enjoyed reading his autobiography, getting his take on life and all things musical.  ‘Never mind the bollocks’ stands the test of time and PiL are one of the most underrated bands of all time.  Rotten/Lydon is the kind of antihero that I’m hotwired to like.

So to the book, it is a damn good read but…  Any autobiography has to be taken with a pinch of salt because we are obviously getting one person’s take on things which can’t be anything other than biased.  I can’t help but think that this book is very much skewed to Lydon’s point of view and the truth is somewhat different.  This is not to say that I believe JL to be dishonest, I just recognise there are two sides to every story.

At times the book gets bogged down in the details of recording and touring which gets a bit boring, even for a fan and Lydon goes to great lengths to justify his behaviours and opinions.  It’s as if he’s trying to convince himself and this extends to contradictory opinions and attitudes.  One of many examples can be found towards the end of the book when Johnny accurately describes Britain; a country deeply corrupt from the top down, where the curse of class structure still exists and the law does not apply to the wealthy.  His answer is to become an American citizen…  Johnny you can’t see the wood through the trees mate!

But I did enjoy hearing Lydon’s voice come out of the page and I loved his rants whether I agree with him or not and I have to say I do agree with a hell of a lot and next time PiL tour the UK I’ll definitely be there, again.  But to be honest, if anything I actually like Johnny a little less after reading this book and don’t tell anyone but I actually preferred the Clash to the Pistols. 

3 comments:

  1. Of course you preferred The Clash. They were far more musically creative. The Pistols were pretty much a Glam Rock band if you strip away Rotten's contribution.

    But like The Beatles their influence was far greater than their actual music - IMO.

    None can match the mighty Fall though. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the Fall have pretty much passed me by, i must get round to having a proper listen.
    The latest incarnation of PiL are excellent but mostly because Lu is great on the guitar.
    Hope all is well in your world Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Metal Box of Metal Box. Then drifted away from PiL.

    The Fall are perhaps an acquired taste, or you either get them or hate them! I 'got' them from the off. Lots of incarnations, if you try them out start early and work chronologically.

    I'm good enough - for an old git who is starting to fall apart.

    Had my piking head back on last winter and a new water (former trout fishery) to explore this season to keep me interested. Eels for sure and tench, but nobody really knows what else is in there. Did at least one 30lb pike to poachers but not been stocked for three years. Might chuck some lures around it when the temps rise again.

    ReplyDelete