Monday 6 September 2021

India 2, England 1

Four tests gone and India lead 2-1, a fair reflection of the series so far I think.  Not that I’ve been able to follow it as closely as I normally would, life and mostly work is getting in the way and to be honest I’ve missed two full days play this summer because I’ve actually forgotten about the match!  What’s going on?  I must be ill?  Sick of seeing England lose for sure, sick of one step forward and two leaps back.  Though to be fair this is one of the best Indian teams I’ve seen, it may not have the batting stars of the previous generation but it does have strength in depth and a bowling attack capable of winning in any conditions, anywhere around the world.  That England still has a chance of squaring this series doesn’t really seem right.  We one eyed England supporters are already squinting forward to the Ashes and despite the very real threat that we could lose two home series in the same summer, I think we still have a shout of winning down under.  Yes I must be ill.  On the other hand I make the valid points that we’ve played the best two teams in the world and at no time this summer have we been able to field our best team and our star player has been unavailable.

At least this means that fringe players have been given a decent amount of games and we have been able to learn a little more about our squad.  One or two have shown potential and give cause for optimism while a couple of others have been given chances they didn’t really deserve and their test careers should really be coming to an end.  The final match of the summer starts Friday and if England find a way to square the series then everything will seem much brighter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment