Sunday 8 August 2021

Rain stopped play.

 I didn't really follow the start of the test match, my work schedule will be unpredictable for the rest of the summer so this may be the case for the whole series?  But as the game went on I was gradually pulled back into the kind of life I lead when England play test cricket.  This involves doing all the things I would normally be doing but engineering openings to catch up with the game and sitting by the radio as often as possible.

So England's collapse in the first innings was not too painful for me, the blows softened by distance and the predictability of it all.  I lauded the young England batsmen last year but ever since they've seemed determined to prove me wrong.  But Indian teams never find run scoring easy in England so I always felt we were still in the game if barely clinging on.  Sir Jimmy done what he does and Robinson is looking exciting, the kind of tall bowler who will do will down under, if we ever get there.  India had a lead but game on.  I was on the road on Saturday so could barely dip in to the game but our only batsman stepped up with a century and at least England are making a game of this!  Sunday seemed set up for a great day of cricket, India on top but with our bowlers at Trent Bridge... but when I tuned the radio in my heart sank.

India had the better of the game and would have started day five as favourites but all results were still possible.  From here they look like the team most likely to win the series unless England's batsmen, whoever they pick next, manage to score good runs in the first innings.  Changes seem likely for the next test and I'd certainly shake things up a bit; Crawley out for Hameed, Pope replaces Lawrence and we need to find room for a spinner. 

Probably the most frustrating thing for me is whatever team we put out, it wont be our best XI and we haven't managed to field our best team since the world went mad.  Until our best eleven players are on the field it's hard to judge just how good a side we are, or not.  We could lose this series against India yet still be competitive in Australia, if we can play our best team and if the series actually takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment