Wednesday 3 July 2019

Match Forty One

I asked the question at work and taking a radio tuned to TMS would be most welcome so I packed it just so I wouldn't forget first thing in the morning.

Work was busy.  So busy I completely forgot about the cricket until late in the day and the radio never came out of my bag.  I hope I will be cured of this affliction before the test series starts later in the summer.

Instead I resorted to the Cricinfo commentary again, when the page materialised the news was good, England were well on top!  Batting first we made 305/8 with another ton from Johnny and another half from Jason.  In reply the Kiwis were 20 odd for two and when I looked again this had turned to 69/4 with both Taylor and Williamson run out!  No anxiety for me today!

By the time I made it home the game was over with all of England's bowlers having a good day reducing New Zealand to 186 all out.  Mark Wood takes the plaudits with 3/34 and a cheeky run out.
 
After a nervous week England qualify in third place, even with three defeats they will stay confident having beaten two of the top four sides.  With Plunkett and Roy back in the XI we look like a really good side once again and could possibly be peaking at the right time?  New Zealand have fell from top of the table to fourth in the space of a few days but look certain to qualify for the semis.  Pakistan have a theoretical chance but it would be beyond even the most influential of bookmakers.  Thankfully the potential parallel with 1992 has been avoided, I really feared Pakistan would sneak in at the expense of the home team and favourites.

Over the last couple of days India have beaten Bangladesh and so effectively knocked them out of the tournament and the very disappointing West Indies were beaten by Sri Lanka.  Australia and India fill the top two places in the table but both have tough games to come so these places could reverse and we won't know our semi final opponents until Sunday evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment