Friday 25 January 2019

Barbados Day 3

I woke up this morning, still angry...

In the past there has been an 'implication' that there is tension between Broad/ Anderson and the captain Joe Root.  After the excellent series win in Sri Lanka (when the two great bowlers did not take the field together) the media started talking about this being "Root's team now..."  I wonder how much this contributed to the team selection for this match?  Is Root intimidated by having both Broad and Anderson in the same team?  There was talk on day one about Root having a "gut feeling" hence the strange selection.  I think it must have been wind.

Yes it was the batsmen who failed in this match, all nine of them but I can't help thinking West Indies would not have got anywhere near 289 had Broad played, I also believe that on these wickets Chris Woakes or Mark Wood would have been far more effective bowlers than Sam Curran.  I repeat, I have nothing against Curran, he looks like he could become a very good batting all rounder in the near future but he is definitely not a test quality opening bowler.

Anyway, I missed most of the agony today as I was fishing during daylight and I'm due to set off gigging in London in a few minutes time.  As I write West Indies are 239/6 at lunch, a lead of 449...

No comments:

Post a Comment