Tuesday 11 January 2022

Why we Kneel, how we Rise by Michael Holding

Michael Holding, one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time and part of the greatest Test cricket team we’ve seen.  Latterly an unmistakable and intelligent voice on cricket media.  In short a hero for me.

The book stems from a rain break in play in a test match between England and West Indies, with BLM in the news Holding gave an emotional interview to which people responded in their thousands.  A seed was planted and a book became reality.

As a parent to mixed race kids I thought I was pretty clued up with the subject, it turns out I didn’t know very much at all.  The book educated me, saddened me and shocked me.

I’ve never really understood “Black history month” and it is only now that I realise just how much is being ignored.  In the history taught to British children, black people only enter the picture with slavery, all the civilisations before this are ignored.  Since slavery most black history has been edited out, both the cruelties of white imperial rule as well as the achievements of black individuals.  Yes we’re taught a bit about MLK and 60’s civil rights but that is it.

There were so many stories of appalling behaviour by white people (though I want to add a distinction- historically white people of the upper class.  Their attitude was in turn taught to ordinary white people) throughout.

Holding’s distinctive voice comes through, as does his passion and anger but he is not a writer.  He has enlisted Ed Hawkins as ghost writer and spoke to other prominent black athletes who are quoted in various chapters.

This book is a polite answer to the frightened people who say “All lives matter”.  This is a book that everyone should read but sadly the people who really need to read it most are the ones that won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment