Wednesday 23 February 2011

Pottering

Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone by JK Rowling

I've resisted the Harry Potter books for years, I don't really know why? I suppose I like being different, maybe awkward. However with three kids it has been impossible to entirely ignore the Harry Potter phenomenon and I've found myself watching the films, what's more I've enjoyed them. As everyone knows, books are always better than films so sooner or later I was going to have to read the books. When my pile of books waiting to be read dwindled it was time. I'm told the later books are deeper and darker but if I'm going to read them then I have to start at the beginning, with “The Philosophers Stone”.

By the time I was three chapters in I was absolutely and totally hooked. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said already about Rowling's book only that it's worth the hype. It's a magical adventure yarn and comparisons to LOTR are obvious but that doesn't matter. Rowling makes the world of wizards believable and she does so effortlessly. I'm grateful these books weren't around when I was a kid because I think I would have been absolutely gutted if I hadn't had a letter from Dumbledore on my 11th birthday. If, like me, you've deliberately avoided the Harry Potter books then it's your loss! I'm reading it to my kids at the moment, they love it, I loved it and I'm looking forward to reading the other books, it really doesn't matter how old you are!

Brilliant. If you haven't read it then what are you waiting for?


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Hot on the heels of 'Philosophers Stone' I couldn't resist reading the next book in the Harry Potter series; 'The Chamber of Secrets'.

This book chronicles Harry's second year at 'Hogwarts' and the adventures that befall him and his friends. I suppose you could say it's a little bit darker than the first book as there is real danger stalking the corridors of the school. 'Hogwarts' is without doubt Rowling's greatest creation, something that allows her to do pretty much what she wants within the book and still keep it believable. On the whole it's another cracking read but for me a little too similar to the first book so the overall affect is lessened, the reader has more idea of what to expect. That said it's still very entertaining an at times you just have to keep on reading to find out what happens next.

Excellent. Read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment