Friday 20 May 2022

The world is insane but at least we have cricket.

I haven’t had a rant for a while, is this because everything is tickety boo and harmonious in the world?  Nah is it fuck.  It’s hard to ignore the obvious, we are governed by a moron who is a proven liar, a published bigot, a criminal and all the usual stuff you can say about the fat cunt… and I’ll not dwell on energy providers making enormous profits while we are being expected to pay massive prices to stay warm in winter.  That’s what you get when the country votes for capitalism.

But what is particularly boiling my piss right now is celebrity trials.  I don’t mean I’ve suddenly become obsessed with the cult of celebrity and have become concerned about the Kardashian’s latest crisis.  I mean celebrities taking each other to court for nothing more than PR; firstly Johnny Depp and his ex wife arguing about who battered who.  I don’t fucking care and I definitely don’t consider it ‘news’.  Now there are two footballer’s wives who are in court disputing who slagged who off behind the other’s back.  Yes, two people whose only claim to fame is being spunk receptacles for international footballers are in court to decide who is the biggest bitch.  To borrow an expression from my kids, ‘How is this even a thing’?  That’s just the first of many questions, others include; who the fuck are these people?  When did falling out with someone become a crime worthy of trial?  How much does this shit cost and who is paying?  Are they so fucking arrogant that they think the rest of the world actually cares about their puerile squabbling?  At least we know the answer to that one. 

But summer is coming and there will be cricket!  A test series against the world Champion Kiwis begins in a couple of weeks, the visitors will be favourites but will England be rejuvenated by Ben Stokes captaincy and Brendan McCullum’s coaching?  England were always going to choose Stokes and I have a good feeling about this.  Picking the star all rounder to skipper the side may not have gone well in the past but he is a very different person to Botham and Flintoff.  But McCullum?  That one took me by surprise.  I think we know how he’ll want England to play but do the players have what it takes?  Then there’s Rob Key, another one I would never have seen coming but apparently he’s had a big influence at Kent since he retired though I can’t remember them winning a great deal.  I do like the squad they’ve picked though, Anderson and Broad had to come back because they are simply the best we have and the selectors taken notice of county form in going for the likes of Pope, Foakes, Brooks and Potts.  Oh and bloody Overton.  Whichever XI takes to the field New Zealand will give us a proper test and we’ll have a better idea of where England stand in the world of test cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment